Wednesday, July 18, 2007

An Honest to Goodness Reflection

I posted a comment on the post below this one that I think it would be good to hear from nonPTEP/Perfect 10 participants. I still stand by that one. We would love to hear questions and comments from you all. Especially now when we are all so close to burning ourselves out! We need some encouragement.

I have decided to post a personal reflexive journal item from today's class. Almost every class, we are encouraged to write a personal journal about how our research is going. Its a great idea and I see the benefit to this once the school year starts and our attention is pulled away from these projects. The journals will serve as a reminder of the focus of our research and the passion that began the process. This one is reflexive and honest. It doesn't mean the end of the project or the passion. Its just a reflection of where I am now in the process. I am still excited about the project even without good direction!

07/18/2007 - Entry 5 - What new information about research did you learn today that will help you to complete your action research study? or What decisions are you tentatively considering for your: role as the researcher; participants; setting; data collection; establishment of trustworthiness?

I can't answer this question in the way it is asked. I guess I am having trouble piecing all this together. I feel that my current question is too vague and yet too narrow in some ways. I also don't know why it is so hard for me to formulate a question. I have a lot of questions I would like to research but I also feel that my feelings and biases are worming their way into my questions.

I feel like I am trying to write a question that will convince my campus of my worth. I am not looking forward to going back to work for many reasons but mostly because I don't have an office and this isn't of some alarm to anyone but me. I also know that I will be adding new roles to my job description and not removing any old ones. This will of course lead to a quick and glorious burnout!

In many ways, I feel that I am trying to answer a question that doesn't need to be answered by research. Maybe it can only be answered by therapy. ;)

I don't think this answers the guided question asked for this reflexive blog but this is what I think and feel about my research. I know my role as researcher, my setting, and how to establish trustworthiness and rapport. I can't select my data collection tools yet or my participants because I don't have a good idea of my question yet. I think all I have is a group of subquestions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that you are all AWESOME! In regards to what I (as a non-PTEP'er) would like to see on here - I would just like to see you all using the blog in the manner that is most meaningful you each of you. If it is summarizing your studies, or journaling, or documenting challenges, or if it is just a place to vent - by all means do it. If it becomes an "extra chore" that you don't have time for, then drop it, or skip it for that week/month/semester.

I do think this blog will be a neat place for you all to communicate during the school year - especially during semesters when you are taking individualized classes. You can of course use email, but by keeping your communication on the blog, it won't get mixed up with all the other day-to-day messages - not ot mention the millions of spam messages and GWAVA reports.

The end is in sight for your first summer session!!! Take some time to celebrate all that you have accomplished and take pride in yourselves!!! Over the next two weeks, be sure to take time for YOU - doing whatever you have missed most this summer!

Keep up the GREAT work, Perfect Ten!
Sincerely,
Julia