Sunday, June 24, 2007

Week 3 in Review

This week, we worked a whole lot more on our research topics by incorporating research from the library databases to tie to our questions. Its interesting to see how reverse-engineering articles written by others can help us write better articles. We are dissecting articles to find out about the validity of the claims and how the research background ties to the research question. By weeks' end, we are assigned one on our own to dismantle. Should be fun!

The one thing we did that really stood out was an exercise on Thursday where we all had to write and share our philosophies for instruction. This was very interesting to hear different philosophies and strategies for instruction, classroom management, organization, and planning.

I can't go into what everyone said (perhaps they could post some of their comments here) but personally I felt mine fell short. I related my own classroom experiences to the philosophy I had as a classroom teacher; when I am a CTC now and should have related it to this point in my career.

The only problem there is the issue that I haven't had a chance to do much staff development in my role as CTC. This has been an issue for the past 4 years on the job. While the CTC role has been evolving since I have been onboard; it is still something that is changing. Changing in adding more responsibilities while not decreasing others.

So with this in mind, I am rebuilding my foundation and philosophy for something related more toward staff development. This not only changes my philosophy but my research as well. I look forward to the challenge!

Anyone else want to discuss their philosophy for education? What about your thoughts on Thursday's discussion?

No comments: